Durham’s own New Orleans-inspired parade band. We bring the fun of a street party to you!
check us out on Facebook
Bulltown Strutters is a community parade band, inspired by street band traditions from New Orleans.
We are a community band, inviting new members!!
Bulltown Strutters was born in September of 2010 when Mark Donelly of Hillsborough Arts Council asked Cathy Kielar if she could get together a percussion band for the Oct 2010 Hillsborough Handmade Parade. Cathy responded with “ I think I can do better than that.” Cathy then enlisted her clarinet-playing husband, Blaise Kielar, and Blaise contacted his horn playing friends. Katherine O'Brian of the Beaver Queen Pageant put out a call, and Cathy posted a call for musicans in the Music Explorium newsletter and players and strutters came out to PLAY! We named ourselves, selected tunes, gathered some colorful costumes and started to PLAY! The gigs are flowing in as our community is ripe for butt shaking, smile making, shake and boogie music. We play private parties, benefits, festivals, weddings, senior homes,
We had a blast leading Durham's 2012 and 2013 Mardi Gras Parade
We are now starting to plan Mardi Gras 2014 - get involved!
We are officially a proud representation of what makes Durham Cool! The 2012-13 Durham Visitors Guide features a photo of The Bulltown Strutters.
You can even see Music Explorium's Put More PLAY In Your Day sticker! We love that Durham loves us!
Upcoming Bulltown Strutter gigs for 2013:
- Raleigh St. Patrick's Day Parade - March 16, noon
- Marry Durham - 2nd Anniversary
- March 23, 2 pm
- Shakori Hills Grassroots - April 20, 1 and 8 pm
- Strawberry Festival - May 4 - 10:30 am
So far they have strutted and played:
- 2010 Hillsborough Handmade Parade
- 2010 Durham Holiday Parade
- Duke Student Union Mardi Gras Celebration.
- 2011 Mardi Gras Celebration at Papa Mojos
- 2011 Marry Durham Celebration
- Springfest in Carrboro
- Carver Living Center Sing-a-long
- Beaver Queen Kickoff at Casbah and Pageant
- Fullsteam Beaver Queen Party
- Bullmoon Ride for Habitat for Humanity
- The Depot in Hillsbourgh
- Carrboro Music Festival
- Triangle Gay Pride Parade
- Fullsteam 1st and 2nd Anniversary Parties
- Bull City Open
- 3rd Friday Artwalk in Durham
- Outsiders Art Gallery 2nd Anniversary Party
- Raleigh Christmas Parade
- Parkwood Christmas Parade
- Guglhupf's German Market
- Virante Marketing Corporate Holiday Party
- Durham's Mardi Gras parade and celebration
- Paperhand Puppet's Annual Show
- St Thomas Catholic Church Family Festival
- Centerfest - Durham
- Shakori Grassroots Festival
- Paperhand Puppet's Summer Show
- Duke University
- Lots of private parties, too!
Check out BS calendar for our upcoming gig and practice dates.
As a community band, players do not get paid for playing. We do it for fun! We do expect and appreciate payment for playing, unless we play for a not-for-profit. We use those funds for our band’s needs.
Love Music? Love Parades? Love Parties?
Show the Love.
A new marching band is in the works. Dixieland style.
We want you!!!
We want horns, strings, drums, dancers/strutters,flag twirlers, and of course - costumes.
Contact Blaise at email@example.com